Carved at the Castle
Stonemasonry School with the Rock Stone Masonry
New courses available for booking with Carved at the Castle
In this Introduction to traditional skills, which are rarely used anymore, the pupil will be given all the tools and guidance (and help to finish if needed) to create a piece of hand cut work by themselves that they can take home and display. They will be given the tools and materials to create a piece unique to themselves and if they feel confident enough, return classes can be arranged to create larger, more intircrate pieces such as house names, examples of which can be seen on the website.
This introduction to another skill aims to give the pupil hands-on practical experience in mixing and the use of lime mortors used for repair and maintenance of traditional buildings and promote confidence in their use. This will be of interest to the owners of older properties which are pointed in lime properties, garden or boundary walls that have maybe fallen into disrepair or anyone wishing to create a structure built with or finished in lime poiting.
During the classes, there will be a practical demonstartion in the mixing and use of Natural Hydraulic Lime, how this is applied to builds, finishing and aftercare. You will then be encouraged to have a go with the guidance of our tutors at hand. For this course you will be provided with all the tools, materials and personal protective equipment required. We would ask that you please bring protective outdoor clothing and footwear that you don’t mind getting dirty.
For more information, see below. To book, click the button below or pay on the day.
Stonemasonry School Opening Times
9am – 3pm (on specific dates)
Our classes are open to anyone; walling classes involve lifting and manual labour howver, you will not be expected to exceed what you are comfortable with, do however be aware that these classes can and will involve uneven hilly ground at times to get to locations, some allowances can be made for specific disabiltiies if we are notified in advance. Attendees under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Care is needed when lifting, handling and working with stone to avaid back, hand, foot and eye injuries,a brief safety instruction and guidience deomonstration will be given at each class.
- Courses run from 9am to 3pm
- Parking available on site
- Toilet Facilities will be provided
- There is a cafe on site, however this can be busy at times, so we would encourage you to bring your own lunch
- First aid trained staff wil be on site
- Any significant medical issue must be declared at the begnning of the day
What is Included?
- All tools and materials are provided and available for purchase
- PPE will be provided however, you may wish to bring your own heavy-duty work gloves or perscription safety glasses
- You will receive an Attendance Certificate at the end of your course
Things you’ll need to bring for the walling and lime mortar courses
- Durable outdoor clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty or wet
- Sun cream and hat for those rare sunny days
- Sturdy and strong boots (lightweight trainers and ordinary shoes are not suitable)